Advertisement

cacao vs. cocoa?

topic posted Mon, August 15, 2005 - 9:07 PM by  Contessa
Share/Save/Bookmark
what's the diff? i've only heard the word cocoa (and cocoa beans) until the raw thing, and now it's cacao.

can anyone explain the difference in vocab? or is it simply tomato/tomato?

i ordered a pound of it. can't wait to start playing!
posted by:
Contessa
SF Bay Area
Advertisement
  • Anyone can correct me if I'm wrong--check out Naked Chocolate by David Wolfe. It talks about the different spellings and meanings of cacao, coco and cocoa. Somepeople use these terms interchangeably. Coco is usually referring to the cocaine leaf or coconut. Co-co-a or cacao refers to chocolate. I can get back to you in depth when I have my book near me. Hope that helps some.
    • Ian
      Ian
      offline 0
      Coca refers only to coca plant from which cocaine may be produced.

Coco refers only to coconuts in most of the Americas.

Cacao is the name used in most of the Americas for processed or unprocessed beans, including in powder and butter form.

Cocoa refers in England only to the processed beans in powder or butter form. The general public in the UK do not use the word cacao.

My only qualification is that I am English but have lived in South and Central America including ones in which cacao and coca and cocos are grown, and speak Spanish and spend a lot of time researching cacao from the tree to the bar.

Ian Whitaker
      World Chocolate Bar Awards
      www.facebook.com/pages/The...8570833130
  • Jay
    Jay
    offline 4
    THE DIFFERENCE IS COCOA IS COOKED AND ADULTERATED AND CACAO IS RAW UNADULTERATED. THERE IS A HUGH DIFFERENCE BETWEEN THE TWO. COCOA WAS HOW THE BRITISH PRONOUNCED CACAO. THE MADE AN ERROR IN SPEAKING ORIGINALLY. NOW THOUGH THERE REALLY IS A DIFFERENCE. I HOPE YOU ENJOYED YOU LB OF CACAO!!!
    PEACE
    JASON
    NORTH WEST CACAO TRIBE
    SEATTLE
    • Thanks for the answer! It seems like from what I've seen you're totally right.
      But I wanted to say that when you type in all caps it puts your post into questionable territory. Traditionally, typing in all caps means you are YELLING online. Its hard to take good information from someone YELLING at you. Again, thanks for the good info though. I just want to make sure everyone knows you're legit.

Rand
      Olympia Tribe
    • I heard Cacao, Raw, is very bad for your health, but really it's the same thing unless Cocoa is the hot chocolate drink which usually have minute amount of roasted cacao and milka nd sugar or whatever goes into it like chili
  • Rob
    Rob
    offline 3
    In theory they are both the same word, just different spellings. In practice, cacao has been taken on by the raw food movement to mean that it is raw (although you still get people talking about raw cocoa which is also fine and correct),

Rob
  • I have a question about cacao. We've been having raw cacao on a daily basis morning and night but recently have read on the Internet that it contains oxalic acid, which can form kidney stones. I know there are many benefits to raw chocolate because I've read what David Wolfe has said about it. But now I'm confused. We have cut down on cacao. Does anyone know anything about the oxalic content in raw cacao? How would I get in touch with someone who does??
    • Ian
      Ian
      offline 0
      Hi Connie.

I am not a scientist but I can tell you the way nature intends us to use cocoa, or it intends to use us rather.

The beans are coated in a delicious pulp to tempt humans, squirrels, monkeys to open the pod and suck it from the beans.
      This is the only way the beans will ever come out of the pod alive. It´s nature´s way of getting us to do the work, the payment is the sweet pulp. If the pods remain on the tree they rot and fall, useless, to the ground.

The beans themselves are alive and taste raw and unpleasent. I´ve chewed many, trying to always find something I an appreciate but it is to no end! This is to ensure we and other animals do not eat them and destroy them and we just spit them out, diistributing them nicley for mother nature.

Regarding acids, I do not know if the beans you´re eating have been dried at all, but if they have, how they have been dried affects what
      remains inside. If they are dried fast with heat or in direct sun non-stop the acids can´t migrate out with the water as easily. I hope this was of help or interest. You could contact one of the Cacao associations for specifics about that acid and its risks, you´l find them in google.

My qualification is having seen everything I mentioned about first hand.

Ian Whitaker
      World Chocolate Bar Awards
      www.facebook.com/pages/The...8570833130
      • -- the powdered cocoa from the supermarket has had all the good stuff/nutritional qualities processed out of it, while the raw cacao bean , or bean nibs, still contain that ingredient. so the whole beans fit in better with a rawfood diet.

You know everything good possibly has something in it that is not good. Like the oxalic thing. Just don't overdo it and you should be safe from that. Even drinking plain water can be dangerous if you get into several gallons per day. >>>>> moderation

Recent topics in "Raw and living foods support"